Sunday, October 23, 2005

'tis the season

Hallowe'en fast approaches, but I'm already past that and thinking of Christmas.

Yes, shoot me now.

I've not actually bought any presents yet, but have already figured out a few people's gifts and have been harassing others for ideas. I've even started drafting my annual cheesy-yet-obligatory letter. Now, I just have to buy the cards.

I send out about 50 cards a year to various friends and family (SigOther has a big family) and, for some, that's the only contact I have with them all year.

I figure that's better than a kick in the head.

I could just send out the letter and stop feeding the holiday card giant's pockets, but this year I've decided to try posting the letter online [not here - elsewhere]. I will still need some manner in which to inform the masses of the location of the letter. So, cards it is.

Locating the perfectly inoffensive card isn't easy, as it's mostly me who is easily offended by overt religious sentiments, overt cuteness or overt blandness. If it makes me roll my eyeballs, I don't buy it. I have the same issues with all cards - birthday, mother/father's day, weddings, etc - but since those are for a particular person, I can take their opinions into account and loosen up on some of my own issues. But, when presenting my annual sentiment to a large group of people, icons and phrasing become more critical.

No, it's not brain surgery. And I know that each and every card is likely discarded before the new year. However, for the brief moment that is read and/or displayed, the existence of an obnoxious glittery little cartoon bear vs. a stylized non-denominational snowflake makes a difference.

Every now and then I wonder how, in the age of computers, places like the post office and stationery stores stay in business. And then I remember.... me, at Christmas.