Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Things I Learned Today

1. Do not stand directly underneath a vessel into which you are pouring water.

2. If the container out of which you are pouring the water has a spout, the water will preferentially pour out of that spout - even if it is not directly into the vessel into which you are pouring.

3. No matter how weird it may seem, it is actually a good thing to have a hair dryer at work.

I'm sure there must be profound enlightenment that can be realised from the preceding statements. Getting wet and subsequently drying my shirt did consume a disturbing portion of my morning (at least the berating myself for it did), so I'd better be able to get something good out of it.

I learned other things today, too, like:

1. When wiping down a shelf, check to make sure that it's bolted to the brackets first. That way your heart rate won't take ten years off your life when the shelf starts to slide off.

2. When working in a room that has a baby monitor for an intercom, and therefore is always on, use your inside voice.

All in all, a most instructive day. I don't think any of this quite qualifies me for the Darwin awards, but it would make for an interesting background history should I ever be so honoured.

On that note, I'm off. I've many more things to do tonight: must go dig something out of the toaster with a fork before I draw a bath while listening to the radio.