Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Blog Hopping

I've been mulling over Sur-reality's post, linked above, during my recent, random, and ever hopeful tours of the blogosphere (oh, how quickly the english language changes...) in search of anything profound. I'm not sure that I mind angst and venting. No, it's not always all that interesting - that's up to the blogger to make me want to read about why their life sucks. And I really can't see who would be interested in a blog about how much I love my job/commute/cat/dog/significant other/town/car/new jeans.

What does confuse, and yes, piss me off, are the blogs that are in code. There are entire blogs that are in teenage shorthand. I think I can make out the gist of most of them, eventually (okay, "ppl" means people, "woot woot" means "I'm happy about something" I think). But why should I have to? Why the hell would I ever want to??

I am so NOT the target audience. I get that. But when there are entire blog-hopping sessions in which all I will come across are pages of garbled love-sick and/or spiteful phonetic abbreviations, it gets a little discouraging. However, through Murphy's Law, blind luck or some twisted diety who likes to mess with me, just as I'm about to call it quits on the entire search something good comes up. I tripped over a blog the other day that was run by a (purported) 14 year old and she actually made sense. It was coherent, thoughtful and interesting.

(And did I bookmark it? Apparently not. I could have sworn that I did, but Explorer says otherwise. I'll have to sit down and have a talk with it about this later.)

It's that kind of thing that leads me to blog hop a little more every now and then. In addition to the teen-speak, I can gloss over the advertisements, the preaching and the slander for the odd little bit of interesting writing or wicked photography. I'm getting pretty good at glossing over. The second there's a cheesy GIF or a squirrelly thing following my cursor, I just move on. My index finger's getting pretty trigger happy - as long as I keep a close reign on it so that something loads before moving on. The good stuff has to turn up somewhere...