Saturday, February 19, 2005

further deterioration

I went to the dentist Thursday morning. I'm not one of those people who's terrified of the dentist; my dentists and I have, over the years, had fairly amicable relationships. I keep my teeth reasonably healthy and they don't perform any nasty, painful procedures on me. I haven't grown any wisdom teeth (that may mean something...), I haven't had any cavities and I've only ever had reluctant baby teeth pulled. We've had a good understanding.

During the past week or so, however, my first molar in the upper-right side of my mouth has been out of sorts. It's been sensitive to heat and cold, and a little discomfited with the idea of being used for chewing. I was only concerned enough to mention this, in passing, to my husband: no more. He, though, was more concerned. As a person more familiar with the full range of dental procedures, he advised me that these new sensations, however apparently minor, could indeed be symptomatic of a larger problem. I scoffed. He insisted. I made an appointment.

By the time I arrived at the clinic, early, with brushed and flossed teeth, and hungry (who eats before going to the dentist??), I was more than a little concerned. Even once inside, there was no comfort; everyone began preparing me for the worst. X-rays were taken and my teeth were tapped, poked and stressed to check for cracks. Hums were hawed and caveats were issued. My clean dental record was working in my favour, but there is a first time for everything.

In the end, I received a cavity-free verdict. No abscesses or stress cracks, either. I was hit with the decision that this trauma to the teeth is the result of my nighttime grinding - something I've done religiously since growing my first two teeth to grind together. This grinding has now worn down my teeth so that new, previously unaffected teeth, are feeling the pinch. This is putting stress and strain on the surrounding ligaments and can be akin to spraining an ankle or injuring the tendons.

Wait a minute - what???

I've been dealing with tendonitis in my ankles for the past six months. I'm nearly healed and hitting only a few potholes on the road to recovery. So, what - now that my ankles are getting better, my teeth ligaments find it necessary to get put out? I've become command central for the connective tissue insurrection?? Have I been such a horrible host for the past thirty years that all my body parts now wish to partake in acts of treason?

I'm really not sure what to make of this. I must be doing something wrong. Or, at least, not doing something right. I hope I have a while to figure it out. My body seems to be taking some sort of rotating strike action for the moment, but who knows how long it'll be before the situation escalates into work stoppages, blockades or an all out war. Wish me luck - and lots of time.