Monday, February 28, 2005

food is good

Well, we survived our move at work from the old crappy building to the fancy new one. However, in the process, I was reminded that I get low blood sugar and that entering into that state does funny things to me. After a rather hectic, and therefore breakfastless, morning, I rushed into work early to greet the impending move. All was well and the movers were organised, so my low energy levels didn't really bother anyone (I did have a coffee candy - a little condensed coffee/sugar thing from Indonesia...but that's another story). I was, perhaps, a wee bit spacy, but no more. By the time I arrived at the new building, though, events had transpired to cause my poor little under-sugared brain to twist up and start issuing rather abrupt commands. This, of course, flipped the switch from Spacy to Bitchy.

I subsequently apologised for any bitchy behaviour and blamed it squarely on my pancreatic inadequacies. I really have to teach my organs to manage better under starve mode.

Round about 11am, the opportunity for coffee break - and my first food (because you can't really count a coffee candy) finally arose. Here, those around me were able to witness the dramatic alteration in my person as Bitchy became Whiny. I gratingly wheedled that Coffee Break should indeed be rethought of as Early Lunch Break. Fortunately, everyone agreed - although likely only in an effort to shut me up. Hey, we all benefited.

Much improved after inhaling two cups of strong coffee with sugar, a chicken quesadilla and fries, I was able to resume my day and attend to the looming lengthy afternoon in front of me. We all, I believe, survived.

Tomorrow promises to be another early morning leading into a day of constant re-organisation as we unpack. The difference will be that I will start my day with tea and toast. Hardly the breakfast of champions, but at least the breakfast of the mentally stable (ish).