Monday, January 03, 2005

the end of paper??

So, here's my dilemma. I can now purchase eBooks (I guess I always could...) and download them onto my lovely new PDA to read wherever I go. There's lots of books that this will be great for - especially poetry, short stories and non fiction. Things that I can read in short spurts that will not make me upset when my coffee break is over and I have to put the text away.

But, can or will I bring myself to pixelate my favourite fiction? I kind of like books. I like writing in journals and notebooks and I like reading a physical book. I get to turn pages that have texture and I get to take care not to ruin the cover or the spine. I get to feel the weight of the tome (my fiction choices are often tomes) and admire or scoff the cover art.

I think I may still purchase a few classics in electronic format, just to see how it goes. They're not expensive and, being the literary slacker that I am, I haven't actually read most of them. It'll be a good test.

If I enjoy them, maybe I'll get a paper copy.