Monday, January 17, 2005

because I don't get paid to edit

The name of the book linked above is Eats Shoots and Leaves and it's simply a punctuation guide. It's a way better read than it sounds - swear to god (or whomever). I've been reading it now, on and off, for a while (see my previous post). I probably make all of the punctuation errors mentioned in this book on a regular basis, yet I have now begun to detect them in the newspapers, journal articles and online documents that I read.

It's getting annoying.

While scanning a scientific piece earlier today, purely for the work-related bits, I was insanely distracted by a missing comma. The sentence was structured such that it looked like 1,997 tests were performed recently. However, I believe the intention of the sentence was: as recently as the year 1997... Yeesh. Of all the important and relevant information in that article, that missing comma is what will now stick with me the longest.

The sad thing is that I am an offender just as much as the next guy. I can't legitimately point out these errors, omissions and abuses. Such behaviour is likely to turn around and bite me in the ass. I'll simply have to flux between having a giggle and grinding my teeth until I am comfortable and/or confident enough in my own punctuation skills (or in the lack of those I'm accusing) to flaunt others' faults.

To any readers of this blog, it is not necessary to take it upon yourselves to go through and point out any and all punctuation errors that may be present is this or any preceding post. I haven't finished the book yet and am still in the learning curve. Your patience is greatly appreciated.