Saturday, September 18, 2004

Passivity Rocks ...and Bites

For once, my procrastination techniques should have been paying off.

I have been going to see a physiotherapist for my aberrant ankles for nearly three weeks and she has only now seen fit to provide me with a few piddling stretches in order to aid in my recovery. Tendonitis, she explained, is about resting. I thought I could handle that.

Instead, it's been stressing me out. I'd been under the impression that physiotherapists make a person work. If I go to my chiropractor or massage therapist with a new ailment, I invariably leave with a new exercise or two. That's just the way it's supposed to happen. However, this course of physiotherapy has been anything but what I expected. I simply lay there while she applies pressure points and laser light to specific targets and then lay there some more while hooked up to electrodes. Sometimes the electric current pulses, sometimes it doesn't. Truly, it's not as involved as I'd anticipated. My lack of contributions to my well being is terribly disconcerting. I suppose my lack if active involvement is my contribution and that is what is helping me get better but my laziness just seems so ... lacking.

Fortunately, those days of enforced passivity are over. Now that I have stretches to do, it's up to me to avoid doing them as religiously as I should. I can actively procrastinate and it feels far more productive than sitting around justifiably doing nothing. I'm back on track to being my old self - ankles and psyche.