Sunday, July 11, 2004

Wedding Plans

Okay, it's not my wedding. One of my friends from high school is getting married next weekend (not really, she's already married, but this is the public ceremony). I just spent a significant portion of today purchasing not only a wedding present, but outfits for the multiple events, a new purse to go with said outfits and new shoes for my husband.

I hate shopping and my husband flat out loathes it. This is an awful lot of production for a wedding and I'm only a guest. I don't even want to know what she and the wedding party are going through.

Yes, I mentioned my own husband earlier. How can I not know what she's going through? I am married and will have been for 8 years this fall. I am only now glad that I got married when I was way too young and naive to know that I was doing everything wrong. I didn't arrange to have all the parties and gatherings that I should have. I had only my maid of honor and I didn't ask anything of her other than to show up. We had the same deal with the best man. There were no planned speeches and no time or space designated for dancing or photos. We blissfully took advantage of every offer of familial help extended to us - from crashing at relatives, to the DJ, to the decorating, to the photographer, to the catering, to the petsitting while we were on our honeymoon.

Were I to have been more in the norm and waited to marry until my later 20's or early 30's, planning such an event would now involve a significantly greater amount of stress, less reliance on the kindness of friends and family that always carries that hint of obligation and more reliance on the guarantee of paid help. I've since been to others' weddings. The night is planned from start to finish and practically everyone gets up and says something; whether it's just a speech or a toast or a roast, they are scheduled and timed between specific songs on a carefully thought out playlist. Dinner is choreographed and dances are served up to pre-arranged partners. It's the kind of night that only happens with the will of a true martyr or the clout of a deep pocket book. I don't know very many martyrs.

It's truly amazing that everyone just doesn't elope.

I anticipate that this will be a gorgeous wedding. I don't know if her event is an occassion worthy of a plea for sainthood or a roll of the dice. However planned or free the day is though, knowing my friend, it will be nothing short of a fine affair. I plan to enjoy their day with them and offer my obligation and guilt free assistance should she need it.

I must now go co-ordinate my jewellery with my new dresses...
j