Friday, July 23, 2004

sweaty eyelids

It's a freakin sweatbox around here.  The last two days (since we returned from Alaska) have been absolutely eyelash-melting, tooth sweating, god-forbid-you-wear-anything hot.  According to the weather website, it's currently 23 Celsius out, but feels like 29.  No kidding.  My thermometer actually says 29.  And that's now in the evening when it's supposedly cooler.  As if.

No, I don't have air conditioning.  Every year we threaten to go out and get a little unit just for the bedroom but piss around about it until it's no longer that excruciatingly hot out.  After that, why bother?  It'll be another 50 weeks before we have to deal with temperatures like that again, so we can just wait until next year, right?

This is the same skill set with which we have successfully put off finishing the basement, painting our hallways and seeing the sites that our own city has to offer.  This kind of procrastination takes practice and dedication.  Not everyone has the fortitude to continually ignore dingy hallways, gorgeous local scenery and sticky kitchen chairs.

While tolerating the sticky kitchen chairs, though, I am left too drained to do anything but contemplate all the unfinished and undone things around me.  (never mind the laundry - it's definitely too hot to do laundry)  It's kind of sad, really, since I know the time is there for me to accomplish these things, but I just don't get around to it.  Apparently I have time to think about it; I know exactly what I want done in the basement and what colour I need to paint the walls and what local sites I want to see. 

I'll have to look into doing something about that next weekend.