Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I blog, therefore I am

Blogging and business moving mainstream

While it's interesting that MicroSoft and IBM are pondering the ways to utilize and/or cash in on the blogging concept, the tiny little piece of this article that lead me to blog this was the phrase "Thousands of blogs, characterized by some as the height of self-importance, are posted daily."

Height of self-importance???!!!

Okay, sort of. Who am I to think that I deserve to take up web space, server time and the all-important web-surfer's time with what could arguably be described as meaningless drivel? Am I actually under the delusion that even an insignificant number of people will stumble across
a thought gone further off track..., read it and, more tellingly, get something out of it? Does anyone really like strings of rhetorical questions?

In that light, I suppose I may be considered an ego-maniac. I have not only started this blog, I already have one fully functional website and a second one in it's infancy. Neither one of them have the potential to contain profound life-changing knowledge. It's bits about my dog, my cat, my poetry, my photos, my genealogy and other sites that I like to visit.

So, what's feeding my drive to maintain my sites and post my verbal diarrhea online? Truth is, every now and then, I get an unsolicited hit from a complete stranger. It's true! It's very wierd, but true. I have proof in my guestbooks and in my website statistics. On the rare occassion, someone other than a friend or family member actually stumbles across my web pages and (gasp!) finds something helpful, useful or enjoyable about them.

That hasn't happened here yet.

I've absolutely no proof that anyone (other than my husband, who I believe only reads this to take a sanity pulse) has read these entries. And so what? As with my website - it's out there. Someone is willing to give me this space and I'm damned well going to take advantage of it. Yes, I am adding to the vast amounts of unintelligible verbosity that currently exists online. So be it.

But I get the last laugh.

Some day, someone will take the time to read it.